Storing Kitchen Storage

Before reorganizing the kitchen, we had two different areas of kitchen storage.  The first housed our plastic containers:

IMG_6992IMG_6993

and later became our “To Go” cabinet:

IMG_7024

Since it’s not good to heat plastic & it can possibly leak chemicals into our food, I am trying to use mainly glass storage containers for leftovers & other food.  When I transformed the above cabinet, I had a few larger plastic & metal storage containers I wanted to save & needed to find a place to store.

We kept our Pyrex in a separate area, near the stove, although I rarely ever used it for cooking.

IMG_6979

I consolidated these areas in the middle of the island to serve all our storage needs.  First of all, I used the large drawer above the cabinets to store plastic wraps, bags, & clips:

IMG_7110

Then, below, I added a spot for storage containers:

IMG_7111

The top pull-out shelf on the left stores small, medium, & large Pyrex dishes & their lids.

IMG_7112

Below that, are some other glass bowls with lids & lesser used cookie tins in the back.

IMG_7113

The pullout shelf to the right holds some prep bowls, such as strainers & usually a salad spinner (which was in use when this picture was taken!).  This cabinet is conveniently right next to the prep area.

IMG_7115

Below that are some of the larger plastic storage containers that I didn’t throw out.

IMG_7114

For convenience sake, I did save these, but I threw out any that were cracked, damaged, older (my mom had given me some from probably 30 years ago!), or that had the #7 on them.

IMG_7112

So, are you storing your food in plastic, glass, or both?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...