Homemade Dishwasher Detergent

When I bought the supplies to make Laundry Detergent, I also grabbed the items I needed to make my own Dishwasher Detergent:

{Supplies}

I used a recipe from Simply Designing, which you can find by clicking the link.  You'll definitely want to check out the "before & after" picture she took of one of her glasses!

Basically, you just mix the ingredients together (again, you'll want to click on the link above to find the exact measurements) & you're done!  The recipe says you can use 1- 2 cups of LemiShine.  I ended up using the whole container, which was probably about 1 1/2 cups.


I have only used this once, but was quite happy with how my dishes came out!  Just as good, if not better, than the brands I had been buying.  Some day I'll have to go back to Wal-Mart & write down all the prices to see how the cost to make this detergent compares with the cost of store bought dishwasher detergent.  Until then, I really can't tell you how it relates. 

I also learned that as a cheaper alternative to rinse aid (such as Jet Dry) you can use white vinegar.  You just put it in the rinse aid compartment of your dishwasher & refill it whenever it gets low.

So, that's that!  Now I need dishwasher advice from you...

For the past 11 years, through three different dishwashers, two sets of silverware, & many different brands & types of dishwasher detergent, most of my silverware comes out of the dishwasher with a gooey, brown substance on it.  It looks like rust when dry, but it can be scraped off.  Does anyone know how to prevent this?  Do I just keep buying bad silverware?  Please help!  No one I've ever discussed this problem with seems to have had this situation!

I'd love to hear any solutions you may have!  Thanks in advance!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...